Healthy Eating Series: Sun-Dried Tomato and Mozzarella Garbanzo Burgers
Guest Author: Rebekah Barkhauer
I made this recipe to help my family on their quest for healthy meals! I personally try to reduce my meat intake, and this makes a protein rich, tasty alternative! I opted to bake (instead of fry) these patties to make them healthier yet! I made believers out of my family, with this recipe, when I told them that garbanzo beans (chic peas) can taste good! It’s all in the preparation! I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
1 can (15oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tablespoons water
1 cup dry bread crumbs (italian style)
10 small sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
5 – 1/4 inch slices of fresh mozzarella
1/2 tsp ground clove
1 1/2 tsp crushed, dried coriander (cilantro)
1 tsp salt
1) Place beans, water and lemon juice in a food processor, cover and process into a rough paste. Transfer into a large mixing bowl.
2) Place mozzarella cheese and sun-dried tomatoes into food processor. Cover and blend 2 to 4 quick bursts. Add this to the mixing bowl and stir mixture.
3) Add egg, clove, coriander and salt to the mixture, stir until well blended.
4) Set aside 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs in a medium bowl.
5) Slowly add remaining 3/4 cup of bread crumbs into the large bowl. Mix well
6) Form 6 balls of mixture, roll in bread crumbs (that were set aside in medium bowl earlier) and press into patties.
Patties may be refrigerated to cook later.
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray or line with non-stick aluminum foil
3) Place patties on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes (flipping them half way through bake time)
Cut or break patties in half and serve on whole wheat tortilla wraps with lettuce and choice of condiments and ENJOY! These also make a wonderful alternative to chicken on salads or in a chicken parmesan recipe. It is easy to make this a gluten free recipe by replacing the bread crumbs with a gluten free, bread crumb substitute! Serve on gluten free bread and enjoy!